Ref No: AM17251
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Lead Engineer - Assembly Automation - Dublin.
In this role you will accountable and responsible for the management of the Automation Engineering group, supporting Operations, and contributing to the development and implementation of the business manufacturing strategy.
The primary focus of the role is to lead, manage and performance-manage the Automation Engineering group. However, there is also a key element of Continuous Improvement and projects and New Product Introduction management.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
• Leadership, management and performance management of a technical group including lead engineers, engineers and technicians. The training, development, motivation and management of the technical group to become a high-performing team, and to work with other teams, is a primary focus of the role.
• Management and co-ordination of day-to-day support activities, resolution of day-to-day issues to ensure that manufacturing equipment is running at optimum.
• Develop systems and procedures as required, being cognizant of maintaining alignment with site-wide Engineering standards and ways of working.
• Identification and/or management of Continuous Improvement and New Product Introduction projects
• Identify resource needs from within the team or externally and ensure that the project can be successfully resourced and implemented
• Delegate the project to a site, peer or global group as appropriate.
• Ensure that the project meets the commercial and regulatory requirements of the business.
• Establish and manage project teams, identifying deliverables, time and cost, setting priorities and reporting to meet the needs of the business and the customer
• Manage equipment suppliers ensuring delivery meets specification, cost and time
• Install new equipment with appropriate training and handover to operations.
• Develop and implement manufacturing strategy to meet customer and company needs.
• Work with all departments across the business to ensure that new processes meet their requirements
• Identify, specify and introduce new manufacturing methods and opportunities into the company.
• Represent the company at customer meetings to ensure that the needs of the business are met.
• Assist with the training and development of personnel at all levels on new processes or systems introduced to the company.
• Ensure that the procedures and systems are in place to facilitate the introduction of new processes and equipment.
• Take the role of technical expert in the field of automated manufacturing processes and develop the understanding and competency of the business to meet the requirements of customers
• Identification and development of talent to include performance management and succession planning.
• Coaching / development of the employees using development and retention plans as appropriate.
Interested applicants should have:
• At least 10 years’ experience in a highly automated manufacturing environment, preferably (not essentially) in a pharmaceutical, medical device or food/beverage environment, with a good understanding of the relevant regulatory requirements.
• Strong prior experience of people performance management and management of engineering and cross-functional and inter-disciplinary teams.
• Strong prior experience and knowledge of project management, sufficient to successfully manage and/or participate in Continuous Improvement and New Product Introduction projects. Must be able to work independently on own projects while working concurrently with all departments and levels of employees.
• Demonstrated ability to deal constructively and pro-actively with internal customers (e.g. Operations, Engineering etc.) and external customers.
• Ability to organize and prioritise tasks; must be data-driven, detail orientated and self-motivated.
• An advantage (not essential) to have a working knowledge and experience of industrial control systems using a variety of IPC- and PLC-based platforms including Allen Bradley & Siemens, as well as robotics. Desirable (not essential) to have a working knowledge of Industrial Networks (Ethernet IP, Control Net, Fieldbus & Profibus), MES systems, data harvesting and historians.
• Working knowledge of industrial automation including assembly pick-and-place, robotics, vision system (especially Cognex and Insight), coding and scanning systems and RFID Automatic Identification and Data Capture.
• Working knowledge and familiarity with Commissioning, Qualification and Validation (CQV) and Computer Systems Validation (CSV) processes, sufficient for the role holder to be able to critically review and approve CQV/CSV documentation.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as the ability to accurately document work performed.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Availability to travel as may be required to execute the role, including equipment acceptance trials, short-term secondments etc.