Ref No: DT17726
County Galway, Republic of Ireland
Lead Mechanical Design Engineer - Co. Galway
Key responsibilities of this role:
• Responsible for the robust delivery of mechanical deliverables, as set out in the mechanical development procedure, across all assigned projects.
• Responsible for thoroughly and professionally representing the mechanical design function within your assigned project(s).
• Responsible for creating mechanical level project plans, monitoring and communicating to R&D Project Technical Manager for inclusion into overall R&D planning
• Responsible for ensuring daily project deliverables are checked, met and communicated in a professional manner
• Responsible for understanding and enforcing the individual project scope across your project(s).
• Responsible for implementing design standardisation across projects – including part count reduction, reuse, geometrical rules, procedures and best practice as documented and directed by the Mechanical Manager.
• Responsible for ensuring robust procedures are understood and implemented on your projects. Issues escalated in accordance with the continuous improvement mentality.
• Responsible for tracking and escalating issues related to cost targets and management.
• Responsible for input into Request For Quotes (RFQ’s) as required
• Responsible for understanding and supporting the internal milestone development process.
• Responsible for preparing support in organising and participating in design reviews and appropriate management of project issues resulting from meetings, including escalation of issues as necessary
• Responsible for ensuring quality of CAD and drawings is regularly checked and maintained - in line with the direction of the Mechanical Manager.
• Responsible for the diligence and support of evolving CAD storage structures roll-out (Product Life Management PLM).
• Responsible for technical interfacing with the customer on mechanical related issues, as required, internal teams or within the supply chain.
• Responsible for identifying and escalating technical conflict potential and participating in resolution actions.
• Responsible for planning, escalation and communicating of external resource needs i.e. off-site CAD, Simulation, technician support, institutes, experts, suppliers, customers and other internal and external functions including managing payment as required.
• Responsible for creating and issuing mechanical level BOM’s to the project, in accordance with the defined change procedures, via the R&D Project Technical Manager.
• Responsible for technical management of suppliers in regards to communication of the mechanical needs through drawings and technical specifications.
• Responsible for supporting design verification and product validation teams with planning and executing of test plans. This includes defining part requirements to the project team.
• Responsible for providing technical direction and coaching/mentoring of junior engineers on the team.
• Responsible for providing support and input to other tasks within the function as deemed necessary by management and senior management.
• Responsible for attending and participating in daily meetings as requested by hierarchical management.
• Responsible for organising, participating and administering a daily meeting with all contributors. Including appropriate management of issues arising from this meeting.
• Responsible for prioritising work daily, weekly and at a project level for all mechanical contributors working on the project(s) assigned.
• Responsible for identifying and escalating resource needs across your project(s) not limited to, deficiencies, training needs, performance and inputting to appraisals as needed.
Qualifications and Experience requirements:
• An Engineering Degree/ Master's in a relevant area e.g. Mechanical Engineering
• At least 6 years' post-qualification industrial experience
• Competent in the use of a 3D CAD package, ideally Catia V5, including application experience.
• Recent experience, use and understanding of risk analysis tools – DFMEA or similar
• Thorough understanding of GD+T methods and drafting techniques
• Formal problem solving training and use e.g. Six Sigma
• Understanding and awareness of latest simulation capabilities
• Recent experience, use and understanding of statistical tolerance stacks
• Experience in the automotive industry an advantage
• Excellent product design and communication skills with proven product delivery experience
• Experience within a multi -isciplinary projects environment dealing with small mechatronic assemblies
• Experience managing a professional team
• Able to deliver technical projects on time and within budget
• Excellent team player with leadership ability
• Excellent people management skills
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal