Process Chemist - Co. Wexford
Ref No: DT18137
County Wexford, Republic of Ireland
Process Chemist - Co. Wexford
We are currently seeking an experienced Process Chemist to join our client firm in Co. Wexford. This is a high volume manufacturing facility based on the outskirts of Wexford Town.
In this position, you will lead the monitoring & control of manufacturing within a multi-product/multi-ingredient environment. A key function of the role is the process monitoring of manufacturing to assure all products meet and exceed the techincal and performance specifications. These specs include evaluation of Lab test results and disposition/release of components, intermediates and finished products.
This correct candidate will be responsible for maintaining and developing the plant Quality and Food Safety Management System whilst acting as a champion for Quality and GMP within the Manufacturing Environment, and leading key programs of the Business Management System.
The correct candidate will be able to drive continuous improvement within the Manufacturing Environment and lead and support the manufacturing team as per requirements.
Key role responsibilities:
- Drive the zero-defect culture through rigorous adherences to S&OP's, maintain GMP and environmental standards and identify and implement appropriate correction actions within the plant as necessary.
- Develop an understanding of ingredients and product characteristics and their specifications. Evaluate the laboratory analysis to determine appropriate disposition of materials and processes in a timely fashion.
- Take ownership of the manufacturing process and provide manufacturing instruction to operations as required.
- Monitor control points within the manufacturing process to assure the process is in control and troubleshoot all issues if they arise.
- Develop and validate manufacturing processes/equipment to ensure capability to meet the product specifications.
- Lead key programs within the Business Management System.
- Develop quality standards, specifications and requirements for primary packaging, processing aids and production consumables in order to ensure quality and integrity of products
- Support external audits of certified systems and perform internal audits
- Manage the introduction of new ingredients, products and processes (including technology transfer) through the commercialization process and carry out all qualifications as required
- Attend and support pre-commercialization test run to ensure production capability
- Facilitate and support continuous improvement activities in manufacturing
- Identify through in process monitoring and trending, cycle times, etc., opportunities for process/productivity improvement
- Design, conduct and/or review experiments in order to deliver new products; evaluate ingredient, product or packaging safety, evaluate OOS/correct deviations
- Provide technical support for contingency planning, supply point shifts and new product introductions
- Work collaboratively with others to accomplish goals
- Support the Company Programs and culture within the Company
- Safeguard and protect all Company information and property
- Assist in the design, development, roll out and championing of the Quality System
- Due to the importance of associate flexibility, the successful candidate may be required to carry out other duties in addition to these functions and may be required to work shift.
Skills and Experience
- Third level degree in a scientific discipline, preferably Chemistry or Applied Chemistry, chemical/process engineering
- Greater than 4 years’ experience in a regulated process manufacturing environment, i.e., pharma, food and beverage, flavour, fragrance, food ingredients or FMCG
- Knowledge of Organic Chemistry and ability to interpret analytical results
- Knowledge of sensory analysis techniques
- Experience of developing and supporting GMP, hygiene and/or food safety requirements
- Management (developing and sustaining) of Quality Systems in a GMP environment
- Experience of NPI and technology transfer
- Experience of participation in external audit
- Leading and coordinating internal audit
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills
- Proficiency in written and oral communication skills; especially presentation skills
- Good understanding of SAP, Batching Systems, Processing Equipment and Technical Software
- Computer literate
- Effective organization and time management skills
- Knowledge of Quality Systems
- Experience /Knowledge of engineering principals