Ref No: AM17409
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Senior Mechanical Engineer - North Dublin.
This position requires a proven ability to design and validate technical solutions to enhance medical device products. This role requires an individual with a strong aptitude for systems level thinking, technology integration with a strong mechanical engineering background. Experience with a significant subset of the key technologies involved such as fluidics, pneumatics, moulding, electro-mechanics, software, electronics, optics, machining & metal fabrication is required.
The role will require the incumbent to act as a technical lead and key decision maker in supporting both internal activities and key suppliers in the manufacture and design of medical device products. Providing product and process design solutions to enhance internal process capability and the performance of installed products at customer sites. The incumbent must have the ability to structure, plan, prioritize and deliver their own work and that of the team they lead. Experience in technically directing cross-functional teams for product and process design solutions including all necessary validation activities and a proven ability in structured problem-solving design for robustness & cost reduction is required.
The incumbent will report to a Principal Engineer and will be a member of the site level Engineering Team.
The Role in detail:
1) A deep technical competency of mechanical engineering is essential with a knowledge of electromechanical / automation design and a proven ability to design parts, assemblies, jigs, fixtures & test equipment is required. Familiarity in optics, biochemistry and/or statistics would be an advantage.
2) Provide technical support to manufacturing and test in a high complexity and highly regulated technology environment.
3) Design and validate technical solutions to enhance product and process capability. Areas include:- design for performance, design for manufacture, design for reliability enhancement, performance tuning, test fixture development, cost reduction and product budgeting, component obsolescence, development of manufacturing assembly and test process, technology transfers, lean process development, field service support and customer satisfaction.
4) Capability to analyze problems to root cause with a structured approach and fully develop solutions, including all associated planning and design validation activity. The incumbent will require an ability to work across a significant subset of the key technologies involved such as fluidics, moulding, electro-mechanics, software, electronics, optics, machining, metal fabrication etc.
5) In this role you will be considered a local process owner, be able to develop and manage systems of metrics for manufacturing and projects. Complete systems analysis and develop projects to drive continuous improvement in key metrics in alignment with Lean, 6 Sigma, Design Robustness Principles and A3 Problem Solving Principles. You may be a member of several project teams working with Manufacturing Engineering, Product Lifecycle Engineering, Q.A. R&D, Service and Continuous Improvement.
6) You will significantly contribute to product and process design initiatives through all design stage phases (problem definition, containment, setting target condition, root cause, solution design, validation, implementation, monitoring on the production floor).
7) Participate in the continuous development of the quality system, including standard operating procedures (SOP's), workflow development, product and process validations coupled with the ability to write concise technical reports.
8) Support new product introduction and technology transfer initiatives from design through to maturation of product and process. Familiar with Product Lifecycle Management control systems for configuration control.
9) Must have the ability to lead and mentor Engineers and provide technical leadership to problem solving and demonstrate ownership.
Interested applicants should have:
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical discipline (Mechanical, Mechatronic, Medical Engineering or similar) with at least 8 years' relevant engineering experience. Bachelor’s degree in alternative disciplines will be considered if balanced by relevant engineering experience.
Very strong Mechanical /Electro-mechanical / systems design skills for both products and manufacturing fixtures.
Structured analysis skills with experience in complex technical troubleshooting
Excellent communications skills- written and verbal are required.
Practical experience of supplier or manufacturing fabrication processes is desirable.
Some experience in modern world class manufacturing disciplines (lean, six-sigma, DOE) desirable.