Ref No: SF16683
Mayo, Co. Mayo, Ireland
Senior Scientist (Chemistry) - Mayo.
The key responsibilities of this role will be to perform complex physical and/or chemical analysis of raw materials, in-process products and finished goods; prepare detailed reports with recommendations and perform routine maintenance and safety checks on laboratory equipment. The successful candidate will be proficient in applying established standards on chemical analysis. There will also be a requirment to train and instruct analysts/scientists.
The ideal candidate will be A SME with knowledge base acquired in any of the following areas of expertise: flavour chemistry, microbiology, beverages technology or advanced analytical techniques and have a good knowledge and understanding of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and Quality Management Systems (QMS).
The ideal candidate will have previous experience leading research projects and developing or validating laboratory test methods or equipment to ensure reliability and accuracy of analytical results and be expected to organize workflow and task schedules to maximize laboratory efficiency.
Functional Skills required:
• Ability to perform advanced, complex testing at a high level of throughput using the required methodology as required on ingredients, intermediates and finished products and report results.
• Demonstrate subject matter expertise in your specific field to evaluate data/information and make decisions, provide solutions to problems, and educated opinions on product.
• Advanced Field Specialty (e.g. Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology, Spectroscopy, Ingredients, Packaging, Sensory or others): Expert ability to integrate advanced techniques and to apply the most appropriate techniques to a broad range of problems.
• Demonstrated knowledge and application of Good Laboratory Practices; Laboratory/Analytical Instrumentation, including instrumental theory, operation, maintenance and ability to operate, modify and repair laboratory instruments; LIMS; Quality management systems.
• Ability to communicate technical information both verbally and in written reports that is understandable by technical and non-technical audiences; to produce report of results and recommendations that is clear and concise. Build technical relationships.
• Perform basic and complex testing of materials at a high level of throughput using the required chemical, analytical and/ or sensorial methodology according to quality guidelines.
• Interpret data from routine and non-routine analyses in order to validate that ingredients/materials meet specifications. Record results & write technical reports.
• Maintain laboratory equipment and instrumentation (e.g. troubleshooting, conducting preventative maintenance, calibrating and repairing).
• Organize workflow and task schedules to maximize laboratory efficiency (e.g. prioritise sample analysis, assign tasks, preventative maintenance).
• Train and instruct Laboratory analysts/scientists.
• Work to and ensure self and team compliance to quality management system requirements through training, documentations, quality records and audits.
• Perform data audit in order to ensure accuracy of data and analytical processes. This may include database queries, statistical process control or correlation study.
• Lead research projects and develop or validate laboratory test methods or equipment (sampling, monitoring, analytical procedures) in order to ensure reliability and accuracy of analytical results. This may include performing capability studies.
Educational and experience requirements:
• Bachelor Degree in Science preferably Analytical Chemistry, Food Science, Food Technology or Microbiology with a demonstrated aptitude to relate business and technical requirements.
• At least 8 years' relevant experience in a Laboratory in the food, pharmaceutical or chemical industry.
Preferred educational requirements:
• Post Graduate MSc. In Chemistry or Microbiology is preferable.