Chief Medical Scientist
Ref No: SF16769
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Chief Medical Scientist Clinical Chemistry- Dublin
The ideal candidate would be required to manage and develop the relevant Section to support the clinical needs of referring Consultants and their patients, consistent with the Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Plan of our Client. You will be reporting directly to the Labroatory manager and Chemical Pathologist
- Provide an efficient service to users ensuring that all standards are reached and that policies and procedures are followed.
- Participate in developing and leading the introduction of new ideas, methods, evaluating equipment, reagents and consumables
- Lead and co-ordinate scientific staff and/or support staff within the Laboratory.
- Lead and co-ordinate scientific and support staff in collaboration with the Laboratory Manager and the relevant Consultant Pathologist.
- Take an active role in the design and implementation of the quality management programme in line with ISO15189.
- Supervise, delegate and participate as required in the registration, custody and stock level of the laboratory reagents and other consumables.
- Receive and record details concerning risks, mishaps, complaints and defects in supplies and equipment
- Ensure that policy relating to the Laboratory record keeping is followed.
- Facilitate arrangements where appropriate for educating and training staff and to introduce professional and/or other visitors to the Laboratory
- Direct the departmental writing, maintaining and revising the Laboratory SOP's, Policies and Guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate compliance with International and National guidelines and standards for the provision of service and actively participate in internal quality control and external quality assessment.
- Ensure appropriate compliance with regard to Point of Care Testing (POCT)
- Ensure appropriate use of Laboratory Information Systems with regards to GDPR.
- Participate in the implementation of quality standards
- Provide report/s on relevant activities in the Department as required
- Participate in the Hospital Performance Review and Development System.
- Motivate team members on a day-to-day basis, in keeping with Performance Review and Development system.
- Actively and positively support the Hospital in its quest to gain and maintain JCI and ISO15189 Standard Accreditation and any other best practice standards or guidelines that may apply to diagnostic laboratories.
- Perform tasks and duties in a manner that ensures compliance with relevant regulations including the Blood Directive 2002/98/EC and the Medical Devices Directives 93/42/EC and 98/79/EC, where applicable.
- Complete assigned actions, including those required in the close-out of non-conformances, change control and complaints, in a timely manner.
- Participate in ensuring that effective safety procedures are in place to comply with health and safety regulations, ensuring safe working practices and a safe working environment.
- Assist and co-operate with the Pathology Management Team in developing procedures to be followed in preventing and managing accidents occurring in the Laboratory area.
- Participate as required in developing the laboratory information system for the department.
- Participate with the Laboratory manager in the preparation of financial reports, business cases and cost benefit analysis of proposed investments in the pathology department
- Ensure that the relevant departmental staff members make the most effective and efficient use of developments in information technology for both patient care and administrative support in a manner, which integrates with systems throughout the organisation and maintains patient and hospital confidentiality.
- Actively participate in and promote continuing education and research activities for staff.
- Provide appropriate statistical and management information.
- Co-ordinate and carry out the Major Emergency Plan for isolated incidents according to Laboratory Management policy.
- Deputise in the absence of the Laboratory Manager on a rotational basis.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc in Biomedical Science or Fellowship in Medical Laboratory Sciences or equivalent.
- Fellowship or eligible for fellowship of the Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine (ACSLM).
- Minimum 7-years post–graduate experience in a Pathology Laboratory, 2 of which must have been spent in a promotional grade.
- Knowledge and experience of working in an ISO15189 accredited Medical Laboratory
- Experience of working with iLab Laboratory Information System
- High capacity for responsibility and individual initiative.
- Demonstrates excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff to reach their potential.
- Patience, diligence and honesty.
- Ability to detect errors, follow procedures and troubleshoot.
- Advanced Competencies of Biomedical scientist
- Be able to practise safely and effectively within their scope of practice
- Be able to practise within the legal and ethical boundaries of their profession
- Be able to maintain fitness to practice
- Be able to practise as an autonomous professional, exercising their own professional judgement
- Be aware of the impact of culture, equality and diversity on practice
- Be able to practise in a non-discriminatory manner
- Understand the importance of and be able to maintain confidentiality
- Be able to communicate effectively
- Be able to work appropriately with others
- Be able to maintain records appropriately
- Be able to reflect on and review practice
- Be able to assure the quality of their practice
- Understand the key concepts of the knowledge base relevant to their profession
- Be able to draw on appropriate knowledge and skills to inform practice
- Understand the need to establish and maintain a safe practice environment
- Working knowledge of Q-Pulse and Microsoft Office applications, e.g. Excel, Word etc.
Your ICDS Consultant